K1/2 PHONICS, READING & COMPREHENSION
Duration of Programme: 11 months (December to October the following year)
Duration of Lessons: 4 lessons per month, 1.25 hours per lesson
This is a meticulously structured programme conducted by an MOE-trained teacher holding a Master's Degree in Education from the University of Sheffield. All classroom activities and provided worksheets are designed to introduce young learners to the fundamental and essential aspects of the English Language. The primary objective of this programme is to assist young children in acquiring skills in phonics and reading, ensuring they are better prepared to tackle the mainstream curriculum at the Primary 1 level.
The trainer will incorporate role-playing, story-telling, and 'show and tell' into the programme to nurture these children, fostering confidence in thinking and speaking. Specially structured worksheets and instructional tools such as flashcards will be provided to aid in learning and facilitate the teaching of word recognition. The whiteboard will serve as a medium of instruction to illustrate and highlight concepts. Throughout the class session, children are encouraged to ask questions in a highly interactive learning environment.
After each teaching session, students will be required to demonstrate their understanding through oral assessments and written work. Classroom instructions and assigned tasks are intentionally kept simple to help young learners overcome mental barriers and approach the learning of the English language in a fun and positive manner.
The following is the breakdown of the 11-month curriculum:
- Months 1-2: Recognition of Letters and Sounds (Aa – Zz)
- Months 3-4: Vowel (short & long) and Consonant Sounds
- Months 4-5: Blending Vowel and Consonant Sounds
- Months 6-7: Adding Consonants to Blends to form Words
- Months 8-9: Reading and Comprehension of simple text
- Months 10-11: Effective Reading & Comprehension
- Months 1-11: (a) Vocabulary building in the context of the areas covered (b) Individual and Group activities (c) Writing exercise to enhance learning of words and pronunciation